Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sewing Adventures!

So, this whole sewing thing is a COMPLETELY new adventure for me. I was given a Singer Simple sewing machine for Christmas last year, and I love it! It's so cute and perfect.. And since then, it's been either sitting on my craft desk (when I don't have other projects on there) or on the floor... Because I don't didn't know how to use it!

Twice in my life I've made pajama pants, one of those times was at a Young Women's activity (and I'm sure if you were ever in YW you did this too) and there were a million ladies helping out, and since I didn't want anything to do with it at the time, they ended up doing most of the work. Same with the second time, when I did it with my Aunt, except I did a little bit more than she did. Either way, both fit HORRENDOUSLY! I probably threw away my first pair, and sent the second one off to my boyfriend at the time.

So I saw this pin on Pinterest, and I thought it would be a good idea to do this to a huge shirt of mine, but I wasn't the biggest fan of how the shoulder seam was still so far down the arm when it was complete. So I mentioned it to my MIL and she offered to help me! I wanted to do it for Cody, because he doesn't have any work shirts because all the ones that his boss has are 2XL and Cody's a Small. So after lots of seam ripping, tracing, cutting, sewing machines breaking, and sewing, we finished his first shirt! I wish I had a before and after picture, but I don't.. Anyways, it wasn't great. It was too short, and the sleeves were too wide. So I had another huge workshirt of his, and I took off on this adventure on my own. AND IT WORKED SO WELL! I learned from my first time trying and made this shirt longer, the sleeves narrower, (which they still need to be more narrow) and my sewing machine only got fussy like twice!

Small on the left, 2XL on the right(which I still have to alter that one, along with 3 others as well!). 

This is for comparison. I'm so proud of myself!
Cody's co-worker and friend for a long time, told him that he was very impressed and he might want me to do some for him as well!

1 comment:

  1. niiiiice! good job! i love sleepingin josh's HUGE shirts. i've claimed them as my own and told him "once you get married that means i get all your clothes" cause he likes to work out in them then they are stinky and sweaty adn i can't sleep in them. thats cool your learning how to sew! now time to make a shirt!

    ReplyDelete