Sunday, March 4, 2012

English SUCKS!

I seriously hate it so much. Since I graduated high school, I've continually said, "I'd rather shoot my eyeballs out than have to take another English class again." .. And then I realized I had to take English 2010 at UVU. So of course, I put it off for 2 and a half years, until now. And it actually hasn't been TOO terrible yet, but we hadn't been required to write a paper before. It's all online, so you can work ahead, or go the regular pace, but you never meet in a class. Well, I knew there was a midterm that was coming up, and it had to be 3 to 5 pages. Let me tell you, I just about had a panic attack every day for the two weeks before it was due. I cannot write a good paper, let alone a research paper that has to be 3-5 pages! And I'm positive that the only reason that I passed all my High School English classes was because the teachers didn't want to have to read another one of my papers, so they passed me with the lowest C that I could get by with.

Thank goodness I have my amazing husband who was there to calm me down everyday and assist me in writing my paper. Luckily, the paper was on something that I really enjoy reading about, so once we got started, it wasn't too bad. When I finished the paper at 4 pages, I was sick of it! I didn't want to look at it again, and I kept saying that I'm not trying to ace this class, I'm only trying to pass it so I never have to take it again. Well, I turned the paper in online at 5:00 on Friday night, and my teacher had it graded by the time I looked at my computer on Saturday morning. Talk about nerve wrecking!!! It was so hard to open the UVU website so I could see my grade and her comments on my paper!!!!

AND to my surprise, here were her comments:

Shaylin,
Nice work on your paper. Here are some suggestions for revision as you works towards the final paper in lesson 13:
MLA: Just a few minor details--your last name and page number should be in the upper right corner of each page. The entire page is double spaced, including within the works cited page and paper heading. You also need a title--see the sample MLA paper in the text. 35/40
Standard English/formal style: Well written with few errors. 20/20
Organization: Clear focus and support. 40/40
Evidence: 50/50
Persuasive: You need more discussion and debate of opposing views. Who disagrees with you and why? If no one disagrees with you, then you don't need to persuade anyone, and this is a persuasive paper. 35/50
Total: 180/200



DID you see that?!??!?! 180 out of 200?!?!?!?! ON MY FREAKING MIDTERM?! For those of you who aren't good at math, that's a whopping 90%!!! Yeah buddy, I got an A freaking minus on my English 2010 midterm!! Woot Woot!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment